This large room enables us to appreciate the grandiose magnificence of the imposing altarpieces executed between the end of the fourteenth century and the beginning of the fifteenth, many of them complete with their original elaborate wooden mounts. In these large polyptychs the pictorial space is dilated, frequently assuming complex and fantastic forms that are accentuated by the rich gilded frames adorned with cusps and spires, pilasters and tabernacles, the shapes of which echo contemporary Gothic architecture. The figures portrayed in the paintings are multiplied and the compositions become more crowded, portraying saints dressed in elegant fashionable garments as in a courtly procession.
Displayed here are works by Giovanni del Biondo, Mariotto di Nardo, Rossello di Jacopo Franchi and Spinello Aretino. The latter, together with Niccolo di Pietro Gerini and Lorenzo di Niccolò, in 1401 produced the polyptych of the Coronation of the Virgin originating from the church of Santa Felicita in Florence, documenting the fairly common practice among painters of the time to join together in working partnerships.
Also displayed in this room is a rare altar frontal dating to the fourteenth century, made by Jacopo Cambi in 1336. Exquisitely embroidered with gold and silver threads and polychrome silks, it originally covered the high altar of the Florentine church of Santa Maria Novella.